Monday 2 May 2011

One Week with my Parents

Hello people!

So, from the 15th to the 22nd of April, my parents were here with me! We had a really great time! My parents decided to rent a car so it was really easy to get around and we didn't have to worry about those freakin' buses (they used to be bad, but from the 17th of April, they're worse, because of the cuts...).

My parents arrived in Soham at about 15:30pm on Friday. I was really happy to see them of course! And they were happy too! In the evening, we had dinner at the Indian in Soham and it was delicious! Mmmmh I LOVE Indian food!

On Saturday, we drove to Cambridge. We went punting in the morning, and that was fortunate, because just a little later, it rained one or two drops. But only one or two, that's all. We didn't even have to open our umbrellas. So we were lucky! In the afternoon, we had a cream tea at Auntie's Tearoom. I love cream teas =P My parents did too!





On Sunday, we had a quick look around Soham before going to Chatterbox to enjoy a yummy Sunday Roast! It was really nice!
And after lunch, we drove to Bury St. Edmunds. We wandered around the Abbey Gardens, which were in bloom, it was beautiful. And we walked around the little town and had a coffee at Starbucks! Once again, the weather was lovely!




Monday was a big day for us, and especially for my dad, as we went to Oxford. It took about 3 hours to get there by car. And as you know, in Switzerland, us people drive on the right. But in Britain, it's when you go left that you're right (ok, that was one of my dad's £2 jokes XP). But my dad did really well!! I was really glad to go to Oxford again and I couldn't have done so without a car. It's possible by bus, but it takes one heck of a lot of time! I visited the tourist information centre and there I got a map with a walking tour we could do. And we did it. It was nice because we could walk at our own pace and also, it was free ;)
Here are a couple of pictures!










Where is that? Where is that? Well! It's inside the Christ Church College, the most impressive college in Oxford. More specifically, it's the dining room. And not just ANY dining room! It's the dining room that's been used for the Harry Potter films! How COOL is that?







Oh! And we also visited the Bodleian Library, which is one of the most famous libraries in the WORLD! It's also there that some of the Harry Potter library scenes were filmed! Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to take any photos inside =(

On Tuesday, we visited Norwich. I really like Norwich and my parents liked it too! There we had a good ol' Cornish pasty, and tasty it was ye mates! And again, glorious weather. Sunshine and warmth. Lovely! Well, I don't really have any interesting pictures to show here, as you've already seen everything in my article about Norwich, which must go back to..... a while ago haha!

I think Wednesday was my favourite day visit-wise. Probably because I went somewhere I had never been before! We went to the seaside with my host family and a friend of Scarlett's! On the Suffolk coast to be exact! In a little village called Aldeburgh (and believe me or not, it's not at all pronounced as it's written). It's a lovely place, not tacky at all like Brighton for example, and if you want some peace and quiet, it's the right place to hang around!
There a big metal shell on the beach, which kids love! And it's in Aldeburgh that you can eat the best fish and chips in the country, in the fish and chip shop originally called...... The Fish and Chip Shop! You have to queue to get your thing, it's crazy! But it was worth it. Mmmmh, even my mum, who used to loathe fish and chips, liked it!





















And Thursday arrived, the last day already! Time flew!!
We decided to go to Ely to have a nice brunch at Peacocks, a lovely tearoom. An afternoon tea, consisting of a selection of finger sandwiches (ham, egg and cress, salmon and cucumber or course), two mini fruit scones (a big chocolate scone for my mum and I) with jam and a slice of cake (coffee for my mum and me and chocolate for my dad). The whole served with some tea (apple and cinnamon for my mum and me and Lapsang Sushong, or however you spell that, for my dad). It was a great meal! But trust me when I say that I didn't feel like eating for a long while after that!




And after that, we walked along the river and then went into town to walk around and visit the impressive Ely cathedral!


In the evening, as it was the last evening, we invited my host mum and her daughter to Jamie's Italian in Cambridge. But before that, my parents and I had a pint at the Eagle, the oldest pub in Cambridge! I had a lovely night. We laughed, every body was in a good mood and the food was delicious!!





Ok this is it! I had a really great week with my lovely parents! I think they enjoyed themselves too. I'm really proud of my dad for driving on the left! We had so much fun and we did a lot of really nice things!!

=D

No comments:

Post a Comment