Monday 2 May 2011

11 April 2011

First day in Glasgow.

I thought it'd be a horrible day! It didn't start well. First of all, the weather was horrible this morning. I know, I'm in Scotland and couldn't expect sunshine and warmth for one week. Still, I wasn't happy.
So I went on this bus tour. Those tours are crap commentary-wise, but they're good in that they plan a good itinerary for you! Which is why I bought a ticket. And the interesting things to see are not all grouped together like they are in Edinburgh, so it was a good idea.

My first stop – and really, I shouldn't have stopped! I wanted to see the Science Centre. Thing is, the weather was horrible and there was absolutely no one there! Quite depressing really! I felt really bad and a bit lost too. So I took 1-2 pictures, for the sake of it, and then I waited for the next bus to come.



 
I then decided to stop to visit Charles Rennie Mackintosh's House. He's a really famous architect and designer from Glasgow. His work in influenced by the Scottish tradition, but is also inspired by the Japanese! Mackintosh had a major impact on Art Nouveau. I have a particular reason for being interested in Mackintosh's work; my parents won some furniture designed by him. Our dining room chairs, and another chair, which serves a decoration purpose only haha
I like the things he designed. It's not too kitsch but it's not too simple either, if you see what I mean. It's classy and original. Also, I'm officially a fan of Mackintosh's font, which can be seen pretty much everywhere in the city!
So. I went into the guy's house. It was free for me, as I'm a student, yay! It was quite small, but I enjoyed it very much! The interiors of the man's house were reassembled and even though I don't think I could live in such an arty house, it's a really beautiful one!



 
After that, I went into the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum to see yet other pieces designed by Mackintosh.





Our chairs look very much like those!

Then, I took the bus again and stopped in the city centre to have lunch. And I had a special drink! During the free tour I went on yesterday in Edinburgh, the guide told us that Coke was not the most popular and sold soft drink in Scotland, but a drink called Irn Bru (Iron Brew). So I wanted to taste it. It's good, I like it, but I still like a good Diet Coke better =P I don't really know how to describe the taste of Irn Bru though... But the thing looks REALLY orange haha.

After lunch, it was time for some more of Charles Rennie Mackintosh! I saw the Daily Record Building, designed by Mackintosh, and then, the Lighthouse, which features the Mackintosh Centre. I climbed the Mackintosh Tour and admired the view that spread before my eyes!



We own the exact same chair!



But I was not over with Mackintosh! I had a nice cuppa tea at the famous Willow Tearoom. The interiors, and you will NOT believe me, were designed by..... Charles Rennie Mackintosh himself!! and many original features remain. It's a lovely tea room and my orange-flavoured black tea was very good and surprisingly not too expensive!






To end my Mackintosh-themed day, I decided to visit the Glasgow School of Art, which was INTIRELY designed my Mackintosh. It's his master-work and was voted Britain's favourite Building of the past 175 years! The school is still open too! The tour was great and really interesting, and it was led by an art student – looking very much like an art student haha. I particularly enjoyed the library, which is open one hour a day! Photos weren't allowed inside, but here are some of the outside!





I still have a couple of Mackintosh-related visits to do, but I'm saving them for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment