Monday 9 May 2011

I ♥ Liverpool

Hello dear ones!

We went to Liverpool this weekend with Tatjana! We stayed at my host mum's niece's. We had to sleep on the tiny couches, which was highly uncomfortable, but hey, it was free and we couldn't really complain!

So we arrived on Thursday evening and on Friday, we visited the lovely city of Liverpool. We went to the Beatles Story Museum, which is, as you might have guessed, about the Fab 4, better known as The Beatles! I had been before but I was happy to see it again. It's a great museum and even though I'm not a huge fan of The Beatles, I really enjoyed it!





The museum is in Albert Dock, a really nice place in Liverpool, with many trendy cafés and restaurants. Here are some pictures!












Then we had a look around the waterfront and I saw the building where we had rented a flat almost two years ago with my family!





That above is the building where "our" flat is!


Then we went to the Cavern Quarter where the Cavern is. For those who don't know, the Cavern is one of the most famous clubs in the world and The Beatles played many gigs there!











After that, we had a look around China Town. It's not a proper China Town though. The gate is all right but the rest, not so good. We found a nice Chinese restaurant there, which was mentioned in Tatjana's guide book, and we thought it'd be nice to eat there on Saturday! So we booked a table for two! The restaurant is called Yuet Ben and there were loads of different praises displayed on the window!
Here are some pictures of the gate:



Finally, we took the bus back to my friend's. It took a while, as we couldn't find the damn bus stop haha.

On Saturday morning, we went to Chester with one of my friend's flatmate, a French guy, who wanted to visit the little town. We thought we'd be lucky with the weather, as it was quite sunny in Liverpool, but when we arrived in Chester, it was pouring with rain! Not so good. I didn't take any pictures because I honestly couldn't be bothered to play with my bag, umbrella AND camera. So I'll just put some of the pictures I took almost two years ago, when I was in Chester with my parents! Chester is a really cute little town. Charming!













After about two hours, we left, because we weren't' so happy with that rain. But I was glad we went; Chester really is cute! =)

So Tatjana and I went back to Liverpool to continue our Beatles visit. Our ticket for the Beatles Story was valid for two days and included the John Lennon exhibition, so we decided to go there. It was good! We also went to the Fab4D thing, a short 3D film, with  moving chairs and cool effects. It was quite fun.

Then, we decided to visit Liverpool's cathedrals. Yes, Liverpool has two cathedrals: the Liverpool Cathedral, which looks, in my opinion, quite ugly. But then, we didn't have the chance to visit the inside, as it was already closed when we got there. And the Metropolitan Cathedral, which looks like a spaceship and is really quite impressive! We weren't allowed to take any pictures inside, as a service was going on, but here are some of the outside!






And then, we made our way to the Chinese restaurant and here is what we found on our way:



This "thing" is a site created by John King and dedicated to the history of the area and its people. I find it quite cool!

Two of my friend's flatmates joined us for dinner. We had a lovely time at Yuet Ben. The food was delicious; I took the Sweet and Sour "Cherry" Chicken, which was recommended in one of the reviews, and I didn't regret my choice! It was really tasty! The atmosphere was good and the waiters were really friendly and helpful!


After our meal, we decided to go to The Cavern for a while. And so we did! And it rocked! Quite literally in fact! A rock band called "The Amazing Kappa" was playing some Led Zeppelin when we arrived. I like Led Zeppelin. It got me in a rock n' roll mood straight away! Yeah baby!!




And here is a short video I took:


And here are a couple of pictures of the Cavern Quarter by night:



Finally on Sunday morning, we visited the Walker Art Gallery. It was a good idea as the weather was really not good then. The gallery was good, I enjoyed it! There was a really cool cow picture there. I couldn't find the postcard though grml. But I found the picture on Google Images, yay! It's called "Cow Mutations" and was created by Tim Head:


When we came out of the gallery, the sun was shining! We didn't have anything left to do though! So we just wandered around, strolling and doing a bit of window shopping! Then it was time to go to the station and after a long journey, we were eventually home, and boy was I happy to crawl in my bed!

We had a lovely time in Liverpool and I'm really happy I had the opportunity to go there again. I really like this city, which has plenty to offer!! =D

PS: In case you were wondering about the strange yellow animal at the beginning of my post, here is what Wikipedia tells us:

Superlambanana is a bright yellow sculpture located in Liverpool, England. Weighing almost eight tons and standing at 17 feet tall, it is intended to be a cross between a banana and a lamb and was created by Manhattan-based Japanese artist Taro Chiezo. It currently stands in Tithebarn Street, outside the Liverpool John Moores University Avril Robarts Library/Learning Resource Centre, having previously been located on Wapping near the Albert Dock.

The sculpture was created for the ArtTransPennine Exhibition in 1998, part of an initiative to create a 'corridor of art' through the North of England. Liverpool's contribution, designed by Japanese artist Taro Chiezo, was the Superlambanana which was unveiled to the city at the reopening of Liverpool's branch of the famous Tate Gallery. An ironic comment on the dangers of genetic engineering, it was developed with the city specifically in mind as both the banana and lamb were once a common cargo in Liverpool's bustling docks. The thinking behind Chiezo's Superlambanana was the creation of something that 'spoke of the future of 90's Liverpool'.

No comments:

Post a Comment