Sunday 1 May 2011

10 April 2011

Last day in the beautiful city of Edinburgh. God I'm tired. And my whole body hurts! But I'm happy.

This morning, I went to see the Royal Yacht of Britannia. I walked for about 30 minutes to get to Leith and I have to say, I was disappointed. It was quite gloomy and really quiet (Sunday?). Anyway, I saw the boat from a distance and took a bus back to the city centre.



Funny how even the buses are Scottish!



Then, I wandered around the Royal Botanic Garden, which was quite nice. It smelled lovely and the weather still being sunny and warm, it was nice to just walk there.







 
After lunch, I went on a free 3.5-hour walking tour. It was really good! The guide looked like a pirates – or a bum haha – but he was interesting! He even wrote a book about the city! During the tour, I learned a bit more about ghosts and hanging stories. I even saw where Harry Potter was born and now I know how J.K. Rowling thought about Hogwarts! It's a mixture between an orphan school and the Castle of Edinburgh. She could see those two buildings from the Elephant's window. Quite cool huh?
I also learned about the real Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde. Yes, in fact, Robert Louis Stevenson got inspired by a real man, Deacon Brodie, who was a well-respected man, but who did naughty things at night!

 
Before going back to the hotel to get my suitcase, I had a look in Jenners, a famous department store in Edinburgh. It looked quite cool!



But then it was time to leave and take the train to Glasgow! After a one-hour journey and a 15-minute walk, I'm now here in my hotel. Apart from the impossible-to-understand-Indian guy who “welcomed” me, the hotel is fine and not too far from the city centre. Although, seeing some maps of the city, Glasgow seems much more spread out that Edinburgh... That's why I might go on a bus tour tomorrow!
Some pictures of the hotel!


No comments:

Post a Comment