Friday 8 October 2010

A Bit of Paperwork

Hey!

I thought maybe some of my oh so loyal readers would want to know how I managed to open a bank account, register at a NHS doctor etc etc...

Let me tell you, that was not a piece of cake. I'm the anxious type of person and when I realised all the things I'd have to do and all the stupid forms I'd have to fill in, I felt a bit overwhelmed.

First of all, I had to fill in forms P46 and P86 for the income tax. Form P46 was easy enough. Form P86, however, was a real nightmare. I needed the nice lady from the finance office's help. It asked stupid questions about how many days I had spent in the UK, or if I was going to spend much time outside the UK during my assistantship. I hated it.

Then, I had to phone to book an appointment to get a National Insurance Number. I could hardly understand the lady and it made me really nervous. I have an appointment on the 25th of October, in Kings Lynn. It's in Suffolk. I'm in Cambridgeshire. Find the error. But hey! I have an appointment. When will I get my NIN? No idea. Probably in January... (well some assistants only got theirs in January...).

Opening a bank account? Easy peasy! I booked an appointment at Barclays bank. At first, I wanted to go to LLoyds bank, but they wanted more documents than Barclays. So I went to the appointment, hoping I'd open that freakin' bank account. The banker was a really nice young lady. She asked me some questions about my life and we had a few good laughs. I had to show my passport, the letter from Soham Village College, my driver's license, as well as a letter from my host mum. Fortunately, I had my driver's license, because otherwise, it would have been problematic, given that my host mum's letter was not enough. Then she asked me a lot of questions about my hobbies, family, plans for the future, studies etc etc. After that, she made me choose a bank account. I chose "Barclays Bank Account", which is free. The lady also wanted me to open a savings account, but I politely declined her offer. I don't think I'll save much money... And that was it! I received my PIN number two days ago, and I should get my debit card soon!

On Wednesday, I went to the NHS doctor to get registered. I had to fill in two forms (again!!!). That was ok. It took ten minutes.

Now I'm almost done! I still need to communicate my bank details to my school, and fill in the CRB form. I hope that will be done quickly, and I also hope I'll get my NIN soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment