Monday 14 March 2011

Bath, Somerset

I arrived in Bristol on Thursday evening and as my friend had classes on Friday and had been to Bath several times before, I decided to spend Friday there! Bath is supposedly the prettiest city in the UK. The whole city is inscribed as a World Heritage Site. This is rare; only Venice has the same status!

I took the train quite early (at around 8am) and when I arrived in Bath, things were just starting to open. I was lucky, really, because I could visit the Roman baths when there were only two tourists: me and another woman. So it was great; I could take tourist-free pictures hehe. When the Romans were in Baths, they turned the city into a spa and you can still visit it now. It's quite expensive, but honestly, if you have time, you should totally go in there.

Here are some pictures:


Here is the entrance with the Abbey in the background.






If you're rich enough, you can hire the place to get married! Can you imaging getting married in there? That must be really cool. Also, only a could of years ago, every other month or so, rich people could actually swim in those baths. But the eventually closed them to the public when someone got an infection - probably from the not-so-clean waters =S

After the baths, I went into Bath Abbey. It was free, yay! It's a wonderful building. Quite similar to the many churches and cathedrals I've seen, but I never really get tired of them =)



That's the view you get from the Roman baths.






After that I went on a volunteer tour - like the one we did in York - which started at 10:30am and lasted for about two hours. Again, it was highly interesting and the guide was cool and funny. British guides are always really good. Funny and interesting. I like them! And he said he wouldn't accept any tip hehe nice guy =P

He took us to the top attractions: the Circus (there, I saw Nicolas Cage's house! he used to live there hehe), Royal Crescent, the abbey, the Pulteney Bridge. Here are some pictures of the tour!


This is the signature of the guy who built the abbey, Oliver King (an olive tree surrounded by a crown). Really cool signature if you want my opinion!



A bit of the wall of Bath.


That's the Royal Crescent. It's pretty cool. I'd like to own a house there. But it's pretty expensive. Oh? Reeeeally?


The Circus. There weren't supposed to be trees in the middle of there. But then the Victorians came along and they liked to improve things, and they liked trees, so they thought some trees should be planted. I like it with trees. It'd look a bit "naked" without them methinks!


River Avon. Nice huh?


The Pulteney Bridge


This is where the tour ended. I took a picture of this house because the top of it is quite funny. The first "set" of rooftops is the one of a cottage, the second of a mansion and the third of a castle. That's really cool mwa ha ha.

Then I wandered around the city and enjoyed the beauty of the place! =)





Voila! I hope you enjoyed reading this article and looking at all the pictures!

=)

No comments:

Post a Comment