Friday 17 December 2010

"Chicago" and London Lights


Hello people!!

Last week end, I went to London. Yeah. Again. Before leaving for England, I told my mum I'd probably go to London once a month and it's exactly what I've been doing! And as my brother is coming in January (yay!), we'll probably go to London together, so I might go on with my "Londony" routine!

Anyway. I had a really good reason to take the train to the capital city this month; I went to the theatre to see Chicago, the musical! I've always loved musicals and really wanted to see one before Christmas. So I booked a ticket on the Internet. Easy peasy!

I took the train in the morning, because I had a couple of things to buy. Obviously, I spent far too much money, like always. But God it feels good to empty one's wallet! I went to Oxford Street and it was surprisingly quiet. After that, I walked to Covent Garden and had lunch there. Covent Garden is an amazing place if you have some money to spend, really. And I really love the covered market too, it's really nice! There was a huge reindeer made of bushes at the entrance of the market (it was Rudolf, the red-nosed reindeer actually!) . That was pretty impressive! Here is a picture:


After a bit of wandering around, it was eventually time to head to the theatre. I collected my pre-booked ticket at the box office and bought the soundtrack CD (I always buy the CD!). Then I just had to wait. I had quite a good spot in fact. That surprised me, because I had bought the cheapest ticket, and there weren't many left!

Then it started. The set was really simple; the band was on stage (they're not usually), on a platform, and stayed there for the whole show. And apart from two moveable ladders, there was nothing else. The actors wore the same costume throughout the whole thing. But it was still really good! Everything was in black and white and I felt like I was in a black and white film from the 30s or something! It was really funny at times and I'm happy to say that I understood almost everything! The dancing was fabulous. All the moves were sexy, sensual and very subtle. I have to admit that the boys' bodies added to the fabulousness mwa ha ha. No but seriously, the whole cast is H-O-T. It's part of the story I guess?

So to conclude, I really enjoyed Chicago. My favourite musical remains Billy Elliot though. I don't know if any other musical will ever top that. One of the teachers in Ely recommended Jersey Boys, another musical. So I might want to see that next year! And in the Spring, I'll maybe treat myself with Mamma Mia! A fresh and feel-good show!















When I came out after the show, it was dark and all the Christmas lights were lit up. It was beautiful! I saw a shiny bush reindeer and some presents and umbrellas in Oxford Street. I also heard the mini carol concert that was being held before the massive Christmas tree of Trafalgar Square. There were dozens of Santas there, drinking and dancing. My mum told me they had paraded to Trafalgar Square; it was a Santa flash mob! Mwa ha ha!

To finish this article, here are some pictures of the Christmas lights and decorations!









No comments:

Post a Comment