Friday 17 December 2010

After Three Months in England...


It's been almost three months guys! I can't believe it! Time has flown, it's crazy! But that's it! I've now been working as an FLA for three months... Six to go. And time will be going by real quickly, because my brother is visiting me in January, after that I'm going to Berlin, then two of my friends are coming in February, then it's Easter and my parents might come, and then it's over!

But the point of this article is not to talk about how quickly time goes by, but to tell you about how my British experience has been so far.

Well. It's been pretty good! I'm enjoying my job, even though it can sometimes be really boring. Indeed, most of the time, I take out small groups of pupils to make them talk for five minutes. So basically, I repeat the same things over and over for one hour. It's a bit tedious... But I've talked to my mentors and hopefully, I'll have the chance to do a bit more after Christmas! I would like to work with more pupils and have more time with them. It would also be nice to talk about my country more. Most pupils still think I'm from France and they don't know much about Switzerland!

What about the school system? Well, on the whole, everything seems to be related to the exam that the pupils will sit at the end of Year 11. The GSCEs. They study for this exam. And the teachers teach according to what's going to be in the exam. It's a shame really, and a bit sad, too! They only concentrate on things that matter for the exam. The students don't study for themselves. And at the end of the day, they don't know much!


As for my life outside school, it's going great too! The only negative point is that I haven't met any native people my age. Yet. I find it really hard! I'm attending some keeping-fit classes, but only "older" people go there... So apart from my host family, the German assistant and the schools' staff, I don't have any friends! So that sucks. But I guess it's ok because spending some alone time is usually not a problem for me. Still, it would be nice to have English friends!

Feeling homesick? Mmmh not really no. I'm really looking forward to going home for Christmas, of course, but I don't feel horrible. I miss my family and friends, some days more than others, but I don't think that's homesickness... If it is, then it's not as bad as I thought it would be!

So yeah, this year's been pretty good so far!

1 comment:

  1. If it can reassure you, I left England with only 2 English contacts, and only one is truly a friend... But it's nice to see you enjoy the experience anyway ! Keep up with the blog !

    ReplyDelete