Thursday 16 June 2011

Certificate of Proficiency in English

Dearest readers of mine.

Good day to you!

I know I haven't mentioned this exam before and that's because I was afraid it'd bring me bad luck if I did. So yeah, a while ago, back in December actually, I decided to take the Certificate of Proficiency in English, Cambridge ESOL's highest examination (level C2 on the European Framework). Here is a diagram that shows you the different levels and exams you can take:


I don't really need this certificate, but I thought it was a good way to end my stay abroad and to show some kind of achievement. I would be really, really proud if I pass it! Also, the CAE (Certificate of Advanced English) is a requirement for the teacher training school I will attend in two years or so and therefore I thought: “why not try the highest level?”. If I fail, I'll take the CAE... But I won't fail *fingers crossed*.

The proficiency test consists of 5 papers: Reading (1h30), Writing (2h), Use of English (1h30), Listening (40min) and Speaking (19min). Each paper is worth 20% of the whole mark. The pass grades are A, B and C. In order to get a C grade (and hence get a certificate), you need to achieve the score of at least 60%.

The CPE is not only about the language though. You have to be able to express your opinions, structure your thoughts and show confidence in all kinds of situations and contexts. Some people say that at C2 level, you speak like, or even better than a native speaker. Well I think that's going a bit too far. I don't think any learner, as advanced as they may be, will ever be able to master a language as well as, let alone outdo a native speaker!

So as you can guess, this test is not a piece of cake. Far from it actually!


I tried to find classes, you know, to prepare myself. But I could only find intensive courses (20 or 25 lessons a week). I had nor the time nor the money to register for those. Besides, they all took place in Cambridge, so it would have been a problem for me... (cf freakin' buses).

So what did I do? Well I asked around and saw whether it was possible to self study. And indeed it was! So I bought a self-study text book, Objective Proficiency, a grammar book for advanced learners, a little book called Common Mistakes at Proficiency... And How to Avoid Them (really useful!) and some practice tests (like mocks).

And then it was time to study! It was not easy at first, because it takes some time to get used to the different papers, especially the Use of English one, which is tricky and tough in my opinion. What's more, as easy as it was to check my grammar, listening and reading exercises, it wasn't so easy to judge my own writing. Fortunately, my mentor offered to read and mark my pieces of writing. That was very kind of him and it helped me a whole lot!

I forgot to give you the reason why I decided to take the CPE here and not in Switzerland. Well it's simple: sitting the exam costs about £120 here. Almost £300 in Switzerland. So the choice was not really difficult to make. Also, I think it's cool to be able to say that you sat the CPE in Cambridge, you know? Haha.

Anyway. My speaking exam took place on the 11th of June. I had to go to Eurocentres in Cambridge. I knew where it was, no problemo! I arrived way too early. I had to be there 30 minutes before my exam, which was scheduled at 16:05 and I arrived there at about 14:50. Crazy, I know. But I was so freaking nervous. And well, I can't help being Swiss can I? I hate being late. Which is why I tend to be too early most of the time!

I waited outside and sat on a wall and tried to talk to myself, to warm up. I felt a bit silly. Then, 30 minutes before the exam, I went in again and gave my candidate sheet to the supervisor and was later told to sit with the other candidates. I was glad because I could get to know them a bit and, more importantly, I could warm up without feeling silly haha. I was really surprised to see that on the fifteen-odd candidates, more than half of them were Swiss! Switzerland rules baby! It was nice to be able to chat with them. It made me feel less nervous too, as I noticed that none of them spoke an incredibly astonishing English. I was reassured. Phew!

After a while, half of the group was called out to go upstairs and five or ten minutes later, it was our turn. Strangely, I felt quite relaxed at that point. I felt really comfortable with the other candidates so I knew that that wouldn't be a problem. We could basically chose who we wanted to sit the exam with. Yeah. Because you do it with another candidate. So I was with a really nice girl, from Zurich.

We entered Room 3 and greeted the two examiners (one of which was only there to mark us while the other asked – or rather read out – the questions). And it started. During the first part of the test, we had to answer questions about ourselves, about where we lived etc. I had to tell why my region was interesting and whether I thought Switzerland was an interesting country to visit and why. Easy peasy.

For part two, I had to talk with the other candidates and we had to discuss pictures. The theme was “children and education”. So it was quite easy I think. But we ran out of time and couldn't talk about all the pictures (there were 5 or 6 of them I think). So I hope we won't lose marks for that =S

As for the last part, which is, in my opinion, the toughest, we were presented with a prompt card, on which a question was written, followed by three bullet points. We had to talk about the topic of 2 minutes and we could include the bullet points in our discussion – or not, it was up to us. We were SO lucky with the topic, which was “travel and experience”. How suitable was that? Haha! After the individual “long turn” presentation, there followed a general discussion about travel and experience, in which we both had to participate.

And that was it! I think I did quite well. I didn't really stop talking and I didn't have to search too much for words either, which was good. I guess I said some stupid things but all in all, I wasn't too irrelevant haha. My partner said I did brilliantly. May she be right! She did pretty good by the way! I think we both passed anyway. Yeah we did *positive thinking* hihi.

After my exam I was soooo relieved! I utterly hate oral exams, but I love this feeling you have when it's all over! Actually, I felt so light that I treated myself with a chocolate and orange cheesecake =P

I took the other exams on the 16th of June, namely, Reading, Writing, Use of English and Listening. I woke up at 5:30am because I had to take the 6:30 bus. I felt quite nervous... and I wasn't looking forward to what was waiting for me!

The first exam started at 9am and we finished at about 4pm. Boy it was a long day. It was really tough. Almost six hours of exams. And we barely had enough time to go to the loo in-between papers! The supervisor was a cruel and heartless woman; I wonder whether she's even a human being (maybe she's an android mwa ha ha (cf what I say later about one of the set texts))!! I have mixed feelings about the whole thing... Some things went well, others, not so well... Let me tell you about it all.

First we had the Reading. Which was really hard in my opinion (and I wasn't the only one to think so). It was quite twisted and full of details and subtlety. After a while, I just start doubting about everything and it was really frustrating. I don't know whether I did well or not to be honest, but I did try my best and hope it'll be enough!

Then we had the Writing. I think it went quite well in fact! For the first part, we had to write an article about competition and it inspired me. I had a lot of things to say and didn't struggle to express my thoughts so I guess it's a good sign? I did write too many words though... But I didn't go too much over the limit, so it should be fine. As for the second part, I chose to talk about relationships in Shakespeare in Love, one of the two set texts (the second one being Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?). We had a choice between a letter about recycling, an article about names (how odd?), a proposal and two questions about the set texts. I didn't even look at the proposal, as I hate them, and as soon as I saw the word android, I crossed the question out, because I absolutely hated that book. Ugh. At first, I wanted to write about recycling, but after five minutes, I realised I didn't really want to talk about that, nor had interesting things to say. So I picked the literary question instead and it was a good idea. I was really inspired and I'm quite satisfied with what I wrote =) I AM a literature student after all!

After lunch came the Use of English paper. There you need to fill in some gaps in a text, transform words, rewrite sentences and answer questions about a text (why is that part not in the Reading paper, I do not know!). Not easy. But I think it went ok actually! I don't think I got all the answers right, but then again, neither did I when practising... I'm quite happy with that one. I should have done ok. Hopefully...

Finally, we had the Listening. Oh god. I was tired and I had a headache. I just couldn't focus. I had lost my concentration and my mind kept wandering. Hearing people breathing, tapping their feet and playing with their pencils didn't help. I think I messed that one up =S And it makes me really angry because I always got about 90% when I did the practice tests!! Well, the other candidates I talked with at the end of the test were not happy with the Listening either so it's reassuring in a way I guess?

Anyway. I'm really happy it's over now. I am absolutely shattered. I went to Zumba afterwards and it was exactly what I needed; an opportunity to release the pressure and just get rid of the stress and invasive thoughts.

I will get the results on the 26th of July. I really hope I pass. I'll be really disappointed if I don't. But now there's nothing left to do but wait and see!


*UPDATE*

I did it! I passed the Certificate of Proficiency in English! I got 82/100, which earned me an A grade =D I was "exceptional" at Reading, Writing, Use of English and Speaking and "good" at Listening (man I was so sure I'd failed that one!). I am SO happy and proud! All the hard work paid off =)


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Emily. I also sat CPE on June, 16. Mine was in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia.

    As I can judge from your feedback, we had the same assignments, except for the speaking, of course. My feelings were a bit different. Readings 1-3, Use 1-4, and listening 2-3 were very simple if u ask me. However, I found R4, Writing, Use5 and, most of all, L 1, 4 a real pain. Hope we both pass! Thanks for your exciting story ;)

    ReplyDelete