Friday 18 June 2010

Hellow Cambridgeshire!

So this is it guys!

My mentor teacher sent me an email on Wednesday to offer me a position at Soham Village College and City of Ely Community College, Cambridgeshire, England! Ok, what you can see here is the Cambridge University escutcheon, but hey, Ely is only 15 minutes away from Cambridge by train so yeah, it's almost Cambridge =D Which is great, really. I love Cambridge and knowing that I'll be able to spend everyday there if I want to makes me feel really truly and deeply happy =)

But I won't actually teach in Cambridge. I will be in a school in Ely and in another in Soham, which is just next to Ely. You have seen some pictures of Ely already. It is said to be a really beautiful city (it is considered a city, even though it only has about 15'000 inhabitants) and its cathedral is one of the most beautiful in England. So yeah. I'm pretty much looking forward to discovering this small city (Wikipedia told me it's the third smallest city in England mwa ha ha). What about Soham... I have to admit that I got very excited about Ely and I didn't really look for much information about Soham, but I know it's a small town of about 9000 inhabitants.

Here is a map of the county of Cambridgeshire, so you can situate where I'm gonna be spending next year!

Ok, now, what about my schools? I will be working in two colleges. My main school is Soham Village College, which looks a bit like Hogwarts; it is organised in Houses and pupils wear uniforms and ties (well that is the case in many English schools actually, but anyway). As I have understood, it is a language school for 11 to 16 year old pupils. It looks lovely! And I really love the fact that there are Houses haha!

And my other school is City of Ely Community College, which doesn't look like Hogwarts haha. It looks more modern and less picturesque and pupils' uniforms are less... Harry Potterish. They have theatre classes, art classes, sport classes, which is great, because as a language assistant, I am allowed to follow any course I want in my school/s! =D I think the pupils will be about the same age as at Soham Village, though I am not sure!

I guess I won't be allowed to wear jeans to teach. Hem. I don't know yet but I'm like 98% sure. My mentor teacher said she would send me a "formal offer letter" with more information; I should get it soon. She looks nice, though it's a bit hard to tell only from two emails ^^.

I have started looking for an accommodation in Ely. Maybe my main school will help me, maybe not. I WANT to be with English people, because I want to learn how to live like the English and because I want to improve my English!

To finish this oh so interesting article, here are some more pictures of Ely!




No comments:

Post a Comment