Monday 7 June 2010

Destination: East Anglia!



Good evening people!!

Yes, you've read correctly! East Anglia! I've received the email from the British Council tonight! My provisional allocation is region 14, namely, East Anglia (and even more precisely, Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk)!! In my application form, I did mention Cambridge, but I insisted on Liverpool, thinking there was no way I could be in/near Cambridge! And hey! I'll be near Cambridge! I don't know the exact city/town yet. The waiting nightmare is not finished yet haha but that's a step forward anyway and I am really happy and really excited about region 14!!

Here it is:


My region is in green:


Gosh, I'll have to answer my school/s IMMEDIATELY! But the problem is that I'm gonna be in the USA from the 10th of July to the 10th of August hem hem hem. I have warned the wbz cps already, but still, I hope there won't be any problems...

But let's not think about that now. East Anglia. It's a nice name, don't you think? Well I've seen some pictures on Google image and it does look nice. Here is some information I found on Wikipedia (thank you Wikipedia!):

~ Much of the area is characterised by its flatness, partly consisting of fenland (a fen is a type of wetland fed by surface water, or groundwater, or both) and reclaimed marshland (in geography, a marsh, or morass, is a type of wetland that is subject to frequent or continuous flood), though much of Suffolk and Norfolk is gently rolling hills. Well isn't that great! Switzerland is not flat, my town is surrounded by mountains! I'll discover flatness yay!!

~ The principal East Anglian cities include Norwich (informally regarded by some as the region's capital, although the East of England Regional Assembly is seated in Bury St. Edmunds), Peterborough and Cambridge. Ipswich, and Huntingdon are technically towns, although Ely is also a city. Well now I know where the Great Exploration of Briton's Land will start!

~ Some parts of the region are classified as semi-arid due to their exceptionally low rainfall. Isn't that interesting? Semi-arid? Semi-ARID? Wikipedia, are you sure? Anyway, it means that I won't get as much rain than if I had ended up in Liverpool hahaha.

~ The Norfolk and Suffolk Broads form a network of waterways between Norwich and the coast and are popular for recreational boating. Cool!! I like water a lot!

~ The Royal Air Force constructed many airfields here during the Second World War and a few of these remain in use. One, near Norwich, has become Norwich International Airport. Good to know!

And here are some pictures of the cities listed above:

Norwich:



Bury St. Edmunds:


Peterborough:


Cambridge (I know it like the back of my hand hehe):


Ipswich:


Huntingdon:


Ely:


I am really really really excited about region 14. I don't know where I'll end up exactly, but I'm looking forward to knowing! =)

1 comment: